The plant’s original name Tritoma comes from the Greek for thrice-cut, a reference to their long leaves with very clearly defined three surfaces. Uva is Latin for bunch of grapes, describing the inflorescent arrangement of the blooms.
In 1794 the plant was renamed by Conrad Moench (1744–1805) Professor of Botany at the Marburg University to honor his friend, Johannes Hieronymus Kniphof (1704-1763). Moench founded the Marburg Botanic Garden and wrote Methodus Plantas horti botanici et agri Marburgensis in 1794, an arranged account of plants in and around Marburg. He was responsible for renaming other plants as well, honoring fellow botanists of some renown. Continue for larger image “Kniphofia uvaria” »